Lord of the Rings Quiz HELP needed
b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
2005-06-17 17:06:47 UTC
Hi Folks,

Would some one please help me with this quiz pasted below.

My nephew sent me this quiz last year and I haven't got a clue
what most of the answers are ...

Cheers

(remove 'deletia' to reply)

---------------

(Where I've got an idea of the answer, I've indented it below).

When the great rings were made how many were given to the elves, the dwarves
and men ?

Where was the master ring forged and by whom ?

Sauron ? Mount Doom ?

What was special about this ring ?

It could control all the rings.

Where did the race of men fight for the freedom of middle earth ?

Who used his father's sword to cut off sauron's hand ?

After the ring betrayed this man it remained hidden for how many years
before it was found by whom ?

Hidden for ... found by Gollum.

Where did this creature take the ring and what did it give him ?

Took the ring... gave him eternal life.

Which birthday is Bilbo celebrating ?

How is Gandalf labelled for encouraging bilbo's adventures ?

Gandalf the Grey ?

What is the colour and shape of Bilbo's front door ?

What is the message on Bilbo's gate ?

Go away.

Name of Bilbo's relatives and friends who attend this party.

Frodo, his nephew.
Jamie Andrews; real address @ bottom of message
2005-06-17 17:38:20 UTC
FWIW, the quiz is a bit ditzy and seems to refer to the first
bit of the FOTR movie.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
When the great rings were made how many were given to the elves, the dwarves
and men ?
3, 7, and 9 respectively, though actually the 3 were not
given to the Elves, but made by the Elves.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Where was the master ring forged and by whom ?
Sauron ? Mount Doom ?
Yep.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What was special about this ring ?
It could control all the rings.
That's probably the best answer, but the question is pretty
silly... there were a million things that were special about it.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Where did the race of men fight for the freedom of middle earth ?
This could be a million places, but because of the next
question, and because the quiz seems to be referring mostly to
the movie, they probably mean Dagorlad, the Battle Plain, where
the "Last Alliance" fought Sauron. It is not called Dagorlad or
The Battle Plain as far as I recall in the movie, but it may be
in some kind of supplementary material to the movie.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Who used his father's sword to cut off sauron's hand ?
Isildur, though in the book he just cut off one finger and
in the movie he cut off several fingers.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
After the ring betrayed this man it remained hidden for how many years
before it was found by whom ?
Hidden for ... found by Gollum.
Don't remember how long... it would be in the chronology in
the back of the third book. But yes, it was Gollum (or Smeagol
as he was called at that time).
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Where did this creature take the ring and what did it give him ?
Took the ring... gave him eternal life.
To the Misty Mountains. It's debatable whether it gave him
*eternal* life, just a *longer* life. It also gave him
invisibility, and also rather bigger psychological problems than
he had had before.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Which birthday is Bilbo celebrating ?
When? At the beginning of the movie? (Probably.) 111.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
How is Gandalf labelled for encouraging bilbo's adventures ?
Gandalf the Grey ?
This question makes no sense in the context of the book.
I believe that early on in the FOTR movie, Frodo says that
Gandalf has been officially labelled a troublemaker or something
like that.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What is the colour and shape of Bilbo's front door ?
Er, don't remember the colour but it is round.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What is the message on Bilbo's gate ?
Go away.
Sounds right, but I don't remember. Could be something
like "Party Business Only".
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Name of Bilbo's relatives and friends who attend this party.
Frodo, his nephew.
Crikey, all of them? There were 144 invitees in the book,
and a large number of surnames is mentioned. Maybe the question
refers to Bilbo's speech (a good part of which is in the movie)
involving the Chubbs, Grubbs, Hornblowers, Bracegirdles,
Proudfoots and so on.

By the way, what is the .cx domain?

--Jamie. (a Dover edition designed for years of use!)
andrews .uwo } Merge these two lines to obtain my e-mail address.
@csd .ca } (Unsolicited "bulk" e-mail costs everyone.)
Dan C
2005-06-17 18:06:00 UTC
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:38:20 +0000, Jamie Andrews;
Post by Jamie Andrews; real address @ bottom of message
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
After the ring betrayed this man it remained hidden for how many years
before it was found by whom ?
Hidden for ... found by Gollum.
Don't remember how long... it would be in the chronology in
the back of the third book. But yes, it was Gollum (or Smeagol as he
was called at that time).
A little correction here... It was actually *found* by Deagol at the
bottom of the river. Smeagol then *took* it from Deagol.
Linux Registered User #327951
b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
2005-06-17 18:12:10 UTC
Post by Jamie Andrews; real address @ bottom of message
FWIW, the quiz is a bit ditzy and seems to refer to the first
bit of the FOTR movie.
Ah, yes, I should have explained, it's a child's quiz and it reflects
the film, rather than an interpretation of the book.

Many thanks for your help. Very interesting and useful.
Post by Jamie Andrews; real address @ bottom of message
By the way, what is the .cx domain?
"cx" top level domain for Christmas Island, in the eastern Indian ocean.
Darren
the softrat
2005-06-17 23:56:01 UTC
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Ah, yes, I should have explained, it's a child's quiz and it reflects
the film, rather than an interpretation of the book.
Then it is an Agent of Melkor and should be roundly condemned before
it is ignored. It is terrible parenting to lead children in the Paths
of Morgoth and PeeJay his conscious agent.

Teach them to read. It will aid them all of their life.

the softrat
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
mailto:***@pobox.com
"I am a man of immense learning and no culture."
Sean

Sean
Seymour C. Moore

Troels Forchhammer
2005-06-19 20:23:49 UTC
Post by Jamie Andrews; real address @ bottom of message
FWIW, the quiz is a bit ditzy and seems to refer to the first
bit of the FOTR movie.
Oh, well -- it's just for fun anyway ;-)
<snip>
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What was special about this ring ?
It could control all the rings.
That's probably the best answer, but the question is pretty
silly... there were a million things that were special about it.
No stone was set in it (it was smooth).
Then there are the letters that appear when you heat it up.

I think those are likely answers -- in particular in view of
Gandalf's retelling of Saruman's words:

"The Nine, the Seven, and the Three," he said, "had
each their proper gem. Not so the One. It was round and
unadorned, as it were one of the lesser rings; but its
maker set marks upon it that the skilled, maybe, could
still see and read."
[LotR II,2 'The Council of Elrond']

I don't recall if this was simplified in the film.

<snip>
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
After the ring betrayed this man it remained hidden for how many
years before it was found by whom ?
Hidden for ... found by Gollum.
Don't remember how long... it would be in the chronology in
the back of the third book. But yes, it was Gollum (or Smeagol
as he was called at that time).
About 2460 years in the books -- I wouldn't be surprised if they
changed that in the film, though.

Isildur was killed at the Gladden Fields in TA2, and it is the entry
for 2463, after stating that the White Council was formed that year,
that it is mentioned that "About this time Déagol the Stoor finds the
One Ring, and is murdered by Sméagol." I'm a bit hesitant to
pronounce 2463 as certainly the right year.

And as Dan has already pointed out, it was actually Déagol who found
the Ring, though the next question makes it clear that it is Gollum
who is the intended answer . . .
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What is the colour and shape of Bilbo's front door ?
Er, don't remember the colour but it is round.
In the Hobbit it is green . . .

<snip>
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What is the message on Bilbo's gate ?
Go away.
Sounds right, but I don't remember. Could be something
like "Party Business Only".
In the book it is "NO ADMITTANCE EXCEPT ON PARTY BUSINESS."

I do seem to recall that it was slightly changed in wording, but not
in meaning, in the film.
--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <t.forch(a)email.dk>
NobodyMan
2005-06-18 01:23:55 UTC
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Who used his father's sword to cut off sauron's hand ?
Nobody, since Sauron never had his hand cut off. This is a trick
question!

Sauron DID have his finger cut off, though.
NobodyMan
Here's a way to get all the answers: Read the books.
Raven
2005-06-18 18:40:09 UTC
Post by NobodyMan
Here's a way to get all the answers: Read the books.
Not if it's a quiz about the films ---

Hrafn.
Seymour C. Moore
2005-06-18 20:23:32 UTC
Post by Raven
Post by NobodyMan
Here's a way to get all the answers: Read the books.
Not if it's a quiz about the films ---
Not in rec.arts.books.tolkien
^^^^^

Steuard Jensen
2005-06-21 17:14:58 UTC
Post by Seymour C. Moore
Post by Raven
Post by NobodyMan
Here's a way to get all the answers: Read the books.
Indeed. But that argument could apply equally well to pretty much
every discussion that we have here, couldn't it? :)
Post by Seymour C. Moore
Post by Raven
Not if it's a quiz about the films ---
Not in rec.arts.books.tolkien
^^^^^
From the rec.arts.books.tolkien charter:

"The group would be open to discussion about art works which are
based on Tolkien's works (e.g. graphic depictions of scenes from
his worlds, musical settings of his ballads and poetry)."

I suppose some folks might object to calling the recent movies
"art". :) But it seems pretty clear that the group charter explicitly
allows discussion of them.

Mind you, I still think it's reasonable to encourage movie-only
discussions to take place over in alt.fan.tolkien, but I've never
liked the occasional tendency to act as if they aren't _allowed_ to
take place here.
Steuard Jensen
R. Dan Henry
2005-06-22 03:59:19 UTC
Post by Steuard Jensen
"The group would be open to discussion about art works which are
based on Tolkien's works (e.g. graphic depictions of scenes from
his worlds, musical settings of his ballads and poetry)."
I suppose some folks might object to calling the recent movies
"art". :)
Others would argue that "based on" Tolkien's work is too generous to
at least the last of PJ's films.
--
R. Dan Henry
***@inreach.com
Steuard Jensen
2005-06-21 17:34:58 UTC
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
When the great rings were made how many were given to the elves, the dwarves
and men ?
_When they were made_, nineteen were given to the Elves (by the Elves
who made them), and none to Dwarves and Men. The distribution to
Dwarves and Men came later, after sixteen were stolen by Sauron.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Where was the master ring forged and by whom ?
Sauron ? Mount Doom ?
Sounds right (as long as you don't add ", respectively")!
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What was special about this ring ?
It could control all the rings.
And lots and lots of other things. :) (See Stan Brown's "FAQ of the
Rings" for more of a list; you can find the relevant questions and a
link to his FAQ from my Tolkien Meta-FAQ, at
http://tolkien.slimy.com/).
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Where did the race of men fight for the freedom of middle earth ?
Lots and lots of places. The first place we know about is Beleriand;
there were some truly massive and influential battles there, and Men
showed up to take part in the later ones. (On both sides, sadly.)
After that, the next major example is probably when Numenor came to
reinforce Gil-galad late in the Second Age, followed presumably by
Ar-Pharazon's total defeat of Sauron and his armies at Umbar. After
that was the Last Alliance, which included the Numenorian refugees led
by Elendil and his sons; that war drove from Gondor into Mordor and
culminated on the slopes of Mount Doom. And there were a whole bunch
of battles in the Third Age at the borders of Arnor and Gondor (and
eventually Rohan) which were awfully influential; the good guys didn't
win all of those.

And that's just the examples that we know about, in the northwest
corner of Middle-earth. Who knows what great battles of resistance
and freedom took place in the south and east?
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Who used his father's sword to cut off sauron's hand ?
That would be Isildur, though it's not entirely clear how much of the
hand was cut off. (Usually, it's just said that Isildur cut off
Sauron's finger, as far as I can recall.)
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
After the ring betrayed this man it remained hidden for how many years
before it was found by whom ?
Hidden for ... found by Gollum.
Gollum was called Smeagol at the time, of course. As for the precise
amount of time, I'd need to look it up in Appendix B.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Where did this creature take the ring and what did it give him ?
Took the ring... gave him eternal life.
To a lake beneath the Misty Mountains. And yes, it seems pretty clear
that unending life was at least part of what Gollum got in the deal.
It probably did some other things for (or to) him as well.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Which birthday is Bilbo celebrating ?
Bilbo's dead. :) We see him on his 111th and 129th birthdays in the
books, I think. (Or was it his 130th at the end?)
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
How is Gandalf labelled for encouraging bilbo's adventures ?
Gandalf the Grey ?
That doesn't sound like a label he'd get for encouraging Bilbo's
adventures! :) I know that in the films, Frodo said that people were
calling Gandalf a disturber of the peace, but I'm not sure that the
phrase is ever used in the books.

To get a more accurate answer, I'd look for Frodo's conversation with
Gandalf after Bilbo leaves, when Frodo mentions that there's supposed
to be a plot between the two of them to get Bilbo's money.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What is the colour and shape of Bilbo's front door ?
Green and round, with a bright brass doorknob in the exact center.
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
What is the message on Bilbo's gate ?
Go away.
Hmm. I would have said, "No admittance except on Party Business."
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
Name of Bilbo's relatives and friends who attend this party.
Frodo, his nephew.
Oh goodness! There were 144 _close_ friends and relatives in
attendance at the special diner! We don't have names for all of them,
let alone for the much larger set of more distant friends and
relatives who attended the main party. The most complete list of
names that we could produce would presumably come from the marked
party-attendees in the Family Trees (Appendix C, I think?), though I'd
also need to go through the list of last names in Bilbo's speech (and
I'd want to double check that all of the people named in the chapter
were in fact listed in the family trees).

Steuard Jensen
Christopher Kreuzer
2005-06-27 23:54:26 UTC
Post by Steuard Jensen
Post by b***@beer.deletia.sna.cx
How is Gandalf labelled for encouraging bilbo's adventures ?
Gandalf the Grey ?
That doesn't sound like a label he'd get for encouraging Bilbo's
adventures! :) I know that in the films, Frodo said that people were
calling Gandalf a disturber of the peace, but I'm not sure that the
phrase is ever used in the books.
<ahem>

"I shan't often be visiting the Shire openly again. I find that I have
become rather unpopular. They say I am a nuisance and a disturber of the
peace. Some people are actually accusing me of spiriting Bilbo away, or
worse. If you want to know, there is supposed to be a plot between you
and me to get hold of his wealth." (Gandalf, 'A Long-expected Party')
Post by Steuard Jensen
To get a more accurate answer, I'd look for Frodo's conversation with
Gandalf after Bilbo leaves, when Frodo mentions that there's supposed
to be a plot between the two of them to get Bilbo's money.
See above! :-)

Christopher
--
---
Reply clue: Saruman welcomes you to Spamgard
R. Dan Henry
2005-06-29 09:04:50 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:54:26 GMT, "Christopher Kreuzer"
Post by Christopher Kreuzer
"I shan't often be visiting the Shire openly again. I find that I have
become rather unpopular. They say I am a nuisance and a disturber of the
peace. Some people are actually accusing me of spiriting Bilbo away, or
worse. If you want to know, there is supposed to be a plot between you
and me to get hold of his wealth." (Gandalf, 'A Long-expected Party')
Gandalf *was* plotting to get Bilbo's wealth to Frodo! Well, to be
sure, he was mainly interested in one particular item, but I doubt he
could have got it handed on without it being part of the whole
inheritance.
--
R. Dan Henry
***@inreach.com