Second Age series
Fred Smith
2019-03-16 00:48:50 UTC
The streaming giant confirms its series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novels
takes place in the Second Age:

<https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series/>
John W Kennedy
2019-03-16 17:01:40 UTC
Post by Fred Smith
The streaming giant confirms its series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novels
<https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series/>
...which both gives them extraordinary plot freedom and justifies using
the title “The Lord of the Rings”.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Louis Epstein
2019-04-23 18:20:18 UTC
Post by John W Kennedy
Post by Fred Smith
The streaming giant confirms its series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novels
<https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series/>
...which both gives them extraordinary plot freedom and justifies using
the title ?The Lord of the Rings?.
They have circulated a map showing a small Numenor off the coast south of
Harad,when Tolkien told us it was west of Middle-Earth and closer to
Eressea.

-=-=-
Paul S Person
2019-04-25 17:05:24 UTC
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 18:20:18 +0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by John W Kennedy
Post by Fred Smith
The streaming giant confirms its series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novels
<https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series/>
...which both gives them extraordinary plot freedom and justifies using
the title ?The Lord of the Rings?.
They have circulated a map showing a small Numenor off the coast south of
Harad,when Tolkien told us it was west of Middle-Earth and closer to
Eressea.
Fonstad has it at about the same place vertically (opposite Umbar and
the cape to the south) -- the animated Amazon map can be made larger
and "Umbar" then becomes much easier to see -- but certainly much
further West -- just over half-way to Aman, if I am reading it right.

It's also at least twice as large, N-S (and so, as the basic shape is
reasonably correct, also E-W): while the southernmost tip Hyarnustar)
is opposite the cape mentioned above, the northernmost tip (North
Cape) is opposite the bay leading to the Havens of Umbar. So it is
also a bit too far south on the Amazon map -- but only a bit.

Fonstad has Tol Eressea barely on and mostly to the north of the
Girdle of Arda (apparently the Equator) -- and Numenor definitely to
the North of that.

All this, of course, depends on two things:
1. Fonstad gettng it right.
2. My interpreting the map (pp 38/39) correctly.

but I would say it confirms your suspicion.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."