The Fall of Gondolin
Stan Brown
2018-09-08 18:59:48 UTC
Anyone read it yet, and have comments?

The reviews on Amazon make it sounds like the same sort of format as
in HoME, with variant versions of the text in sequence. If that's
accurate, what advantage does this book offer to those who already
own HoME?
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Tolkien FAQs: http://Tolkien.slimy.com (Steuard Jensen)
Tolkien letters FAQ: http://preview.tinyurl.com/pr6sa7u
FAQ of the Rings: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm
Encyclopedia of Arda: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm
John W Kennedy
2018-09-08 22:08:09 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Anyone read it yet, and have comments?
The reviews on Amazon make it sounds like the same sort of format as
in HoME, with variant versions of the text in sequence. If that's
accurate, what advantage does this book offer to those who already
own HoME?
The Amazon “Look Inside” featre permits the viewing of some parts of the
preface. CJRT’s chief hope is that, by concentrating a book on only one
story, as he did with “Beren and Luthien”, he can make the growth and
development clearer than was possible in HoME (at least to readers
without photographic memories!).

And there are illustrations by Alan Lee.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Stan Brown
2018-09-09 15:26:54 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Anyone read it yet, and have comments?
The reviews on Amazon make it sounds like the same sort of format as
in HoME, with variant versions of the text in sequence. If that's
accurate, what advantage does this book offer to those who already
own HoME?
The Amazon ?Look Inside? featre permits the viewing of some parts of the
preface. CJRT?s chief hope is that, by concentrating a book on only one
story, as he did with ?Beren and Luthien?, he can make the growth and
development clearer than was possible in HoME (at least to readers
without photographic memories!).
And there are illustrations by Alan Lee.
Thanks, John! I think I'll wait a bit and order the paperback when
it's available. I've got the Narn i Hin Húrin in paperback, and it
has the illustrations too.
Louis Epstein
2018-10-27 04:47:33 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Post by Stan Brown
Anyone read it yet, and have comments?
The reviews on Amazon make it sounds like the same sort of format as
in HoME, with variant versions of the text in sequence. If that's
accurate, what advantage does this book offer to those who already
own HoME?
The Amazon ?Look Inside? featre permits the viewing of some parts of the
preface. CJRT?s chief hope is that, by concentrating a book on only one
story, as he did with ?Beren and Luthien?, he can make the growth and
development clearer than was possible in HoME (at least to readers
without photographic memories!).
And there are illustrations by Alan Lee.
Thanks, John! I think I'll wait a bit and order the paperback when
it's available. I've got the Narn i Hin H?rin in paperback, and it
has the illustrations too.
The Hurin story IS an edited-together product of the progressive
generations of text...but in the Gondolin story he merely presents
the ingredients without having actually produced a unified narrative
from them.

-=-=-