[Quora] What books should definitely not be movies?
Thomas Koenig
2019-08-20 18:50:39 UTC
What book should absolutely not have a movie adaptation?
What I should have replied, of course, is "The Colour out of Space" as the eponymous colour, not being in the EM spectrum, is unfilmable.
The film will be shown at the Toronto festival this fall, and presumably at a theatre near you soon. Starring Nicholas Cage, score by John Cage. Parts of it, anyway.
Dorothy may be even more horrified than I was to read that Amazon is doing a "Lord of the Rings" TV series. I was slightly mollified to find that it is a "Silmarillion" series set in mid-second age chronicling the first downfall of Sauron. I don't believe there will be any overlap in the cast. Tom Shippey is the advisor.
Elrond and Galadriel were both around.
Also Celeborn.
And all are likely characters in the series.
The wizards are still in the West. Legolas might be alive, or at least his father is.
I read an article about this the other day. They are under strict conditions
*not* to do anything which contradicts the established canon. Apparently.
quite a lot is set in Númenor (Numenor).
pt
That...isn't reassuring.
What does 'first downfall of Sauron' mean?
Could be the Fall of Numenor (although the only thing he really
lost were his chances in a beauty pagent).
John W Kennedy
2019-08-21 17:09:05 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
[...]
It /could/ mean Melkor’s seduction of Sauron, or the fall of Morgoth (in
which Sauron fell, too), or the fall of Mordor before Ar-Pharazôn, or
the Drowning of Númenor, but I rather fancy it is the fall of Mordor
before the Last Alliance.

-
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres